Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ted's 2 Cents:

My brother Ted lives in Houston with his wife Robyn and their son Jack.  Ted and my dad have a very close relationship and enjoy many of the same pursuits - fishing, camping, scuba diving gardening, cooking, reading, and photography.  They were very active together in the Boy Scouts for many years, taking trips all over the country and the world with their scout troop.  Ted became an Eagle Scout many years ago, and I know that made my dad very proud.  The two of them spend lots of time together these days tinkering with things, cooking and working in the community garden.  


These are some of Ted's thoughts:  


"Many of you who know Aubrey know that he has been a photography enthusiast for… well, forever. I owe my love of photography in some measure to Aubrey’s influence. He helped me buy my first camera, took us on a photographic safari in Africa, and shared all of his photography experience with me as I was learning. 


Like many amateur photographers (Aubrey probably considers himself a pro, and may take umbrage at this reference), Aubrey has documented all of our trips with pictures and has gone on a few trips just for the sake of the pictures. The camera bag has always gone everywhere. Because Aubrey sometimes paid as much attention to it as he did to the rest of us, we dubbed it “the baby.”  In jest, of course.


Now, Dad has some trouble lugging the camera everywhere he might want to go. The difficulty he has carrying things while walking (which makes him 20 times more likely to fall down) means the camera bag goes fewer places. His unsteadiness makes it harder to focus and frame a picture. The result is a decrease in the number of pictures he takes, although I have to give him credit for making as strong an effort as ever.


While taking pictures is harder for Aubrey now than it was ten years ago, he has taken an interest in printing and displaying some of his favorites from over the years. He has probably printed over a hundred pictures in large format and had them custom framed by his favorite frame shop in the heights. Every member of our immediate family has a few Aubrey originals decorating our walls, and there are plenty more with no wall space to call their own.


For your enjoyment, here are a few of my favorites among the collection."














No comments:

Post a Comment