Sunday, November 8, 2009

Halfway there ... sort of

We ran 13 miles this weekend, and it really hurt.  It was a perfect day for running -- sunny, cool, no humidity.  Our friend Paige ran about 5 miles with us, and then we did the rest of it on our own in about 2 hours and 15 minutes.  There was definitely a little walking in there towards the end, but overall I'm proud of us.  I have read on the Houston Marathon website that if you are not on pace to finish the marathon in 6 hours by the half-way point, they divert you to the half-marathon course.  I can't decide whether that would be terribly embarrassing or really good luck.  Probably both, but I'm hoping it won't befall us.  Plus, the idea of running for 6 hours is really awful.  Next time you are doing something like watching a movie or driving a long way, imagine that you were just running the whole time.  Plus a few hours.  So, we're hoping to finish in 4:30 - 5 hours, but we'll see.

After we finished, we had to rush home, shower and get ready to go over to a friend's house for dinner with the kids, and both of us were sort of out of it for a while once we sat down on their couch and everything caught up with us.  At one point, I was positive that I was going to throw up all over the coffee table.  This was my body's way of saying, "I really did not like that."  My response to that subtle message was to eat a huge, delicious dinner, and I think my body was slightly mollified by that, but it's definitely still holding a bit of a grudge.

So we'll keep at it this week and then have a "rebuilding" weekend next weekend where we only run 8 or 10 miles.  But I can see a 20 mile run in the near future, and it's been stalking me in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment