Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Matt weighs in ...

I don't like to run.  I am not very good at it.  About 6 months ago Claire talked me into running the Nashville half marathon.  It was very uncomfortable.  At one point I was passed by a gentleman who was running backwards while juggling.  The juggler was followed closely by a man in a bear costume.  I was a little disgusted with my performance and it planted the seed to run the Houston marathon (we tried to sign up for the half but it was full).

During medical school we often referred to a patient's battle with certain diseases as a marathon.  With Parkinson's I think this analogy is very fitting.  In my training thus far the most I have run is 13 miles.  The idea of running twice that fills me with a little despair.  The next 13 will be that much harder.  As I have watched Aubrey battle with Parkinson's over the years I know that he knows that there are harder challenges to come.  The relatively little bit of will power that it will take Claire and I to quiet the despair and plow through this race,  I think is probably similar to the will power that Aubrey has to employ each day to do things that he wants and needs to do.

I hope that running this race and Claire making this blog helps to raise awareness of what is, in my opinion, one of the most difficult diseases out there.

I hope that I run faster than the guy in the bear suit.

1 comment:

  1. You should just get a bear suit and then you'll at least run as fast as the bear. And I've seen you juggle, so you could do that too. Seriously, you look great and seem very motivated. You'll do great on race day and in helping so many folks. Paige

    ReplyDelete